Debate Thread: 1200 Posts From RichardDawkins.net, With Sample Exchanges & Essay Comments
06-17-2009, 12:43 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2011 09:11 AM by essay author ws.)
Debate Thread: 1200 Posts From RichardDawkins.net, With Sample Exchanges & Essay Comments
Forum members at RichardDawkins.net have run a very active debate on this essay and many related subjects. Debate ran from May 2009 through August 2009. Participants then paused for a short break and thereafter resumed debate with a second run, September 2009 through January 2010. Over these eight months the debate grew beyond all expectation, with more than 1200 spirited posts in all. I participated under my own name, as member 'wstewart'.

Here is the link to the first Dawkins thread:

"Consciousness Survives Death"

Here is the link to the second Dawkins thread:

"Personal Identity Thought Experiment"

The Dawkins forum is no more. But if upon reflection former Dawkins forum members would like to annotate those old threads, they are welcome to do so here. I'd recommend posting in this very archival thread, for ease of communal reference.

Hopefully the old Dawkins threads and future Dawkins annotations will prove useful to readers of the essay. Actually I see real value in archiving and annotating one community's heated debate on Metaphysics by Default. The annotated Dawkins threads may save my readers much time, by presenting many fully-developed lines of criticism which needn't be recreated hereafter.

A Dawkins Sample:
  • Jumping into the fray: 1
  • Importance of the philosophical meaning of the word, "person": 1
  • Is consciousness discontinuous, or not? An experiment: 1 2
  • An opponent stumbles into the vortex, and pulls others in: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
  • Weighing some pros and cons of existential passage: 1
  • A Druze leader offers a word of support: 1 2
  • Philosophy is unlike poker. 1
  • Respecting the Aristotelian Law of Noncontradiction: 1 2
  • Sailing the Ship of Theseus upon a spacetime diagram: 1
  • Simultaneity: relative or absolute? 1 2 3
  • Selections: other authors' reasoning for existential passage, or close analog: 1
  • Philosophy, Lawrence, Arabia: 1
  • Opponents persistently contradict each other, and even themselves, when trying to explain unfelt time-gaps: 1 2 3
  • How things stand after 1200 posts: 1
As backup, I attach self-contained archival copies of the first and second Dawkins threads (.zip).

Thank you.

All the best,
Wayne Stewart
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply